You might have to change your name or address on your PAN card in several instances. Say you changed your name after getting married, or your residential address has permanently shifted due to the redevelopment of your existing home.
Such changes need to be incorporated into your PAN to authenticate your KYC. However, changing your name and address is simple and similar to your new PAN application process, depending on your chosen portal. These updates depend on where you applied and when you got your PAN for the first time.
Let’s discuss the PAN application process before we move to the next step of updating your name and address.
New PAN card application process
The application for PAN is of two types. These are applications for allotting PAN and duplicate PAN cards or changes and corrections in PAN data.
As per the Income Tax Department’s (ITD) guidelines, the eligibility and process for PAN application are as follows:
1. Application for allotment of PAN
This application can be made by individuals who have never been allotted a PAN earlier. You can only have one PAN since it uniquely identifies you with a single alphanumeric series.
Who can apply:
- Indian citizens inside or outside India shall apply using form 49A for allotment.
- Foreign nationals must apply using form 49AA.
Where to apply:
You can apply for a new PAN online or offline. The online modes for PAN allotment requests are Protean (earlier known as NSDL e-Gov), UTIITSL and e-Filing by the Income Tax Department (ITD) website. You can also use the offline mode via district-level PAN agencies. The TIN-Facilitation Centres (TIN-FCs) and PAN centres are set up across the country to facilitate the offline application process.
2. Application for new PAN card and changes or corrections in PAN data
You can apply for corrections and changes when a PAN has already been allotted. You can make any changes in your data, such as PAN card name correction and address update. In such a case, a new PAN card bearing the same PAN with updated details will be issued to you. You may apply using either offline or online mode. You can visit a district-level PAN agency with physical copies of your name or address change proof documents for offline application.
For online applications, you can use any of the following platforms:
A. Protean (NSDL e-Gov)
In case you want to apply to make changes or corrections to PAN data, the following are the steps to be followed for such an application:
- Go to the Protean website’s PAN service portal.
- Select Apply Online.
- Scroll down to reach out to Change/Correction in PAN Data.
- Read the sections on guidelines, instructions, documents to be submitted, dos and don’ts and then click apply.
- Reaching out to the Online PAN application page, click the ‘Apply Online’ tab and select the application type from the dropdown menu consisting of the types of applications.
- Select the ‘Changes/correction in existing PAN data/ Reprint of PAN card’ option.
- In the category dropdown, if you are an individual, select so or select the applicable category otherwise.
- Select ‘Title’ of the applicant, such as Shri, Smt…and fill in the Applicant Information.
- Enter Captcha and submit.
- After submitting, a Token number will be generated. You can make a note of this number for future communications.
- Further, continuing with the application process, select the mode for submitting the supporting documents (paperless is suggested if you do not want the hassles of sending physical documents).
- Enter your details as per Aadhaar and move to the next step, i.e. contact information.
- Enter your contact details correctly.
- Then read and complete the declaration by ticking on the checkbox, verify and proceed with payments using any of the following modes:
- Credit or debit card
- Internet banking,
- Payment wallet
- Cash card
- After successfully paying the PAN card correction fees, click ‘Continue’.
- Authenticate your Aadhaar by entering the OTP and submitting.
- The acknowledgement page will appear, indicating successful application submission.
- To check the application status, click the Registered User tab on the Online PAN application page and fill in the details.
Steps to be followed for online application:
- Go to the UTIITSL website. It will direct to the PAN Service Portal.
- On PAN Service Portal, select the PAN Service you want to apply for among the following options:
- PAN Card for Indian Citizen/ NRI
- PAN Card for Foreign Citizen
- Change/ Correction in PAN Card.
- Click Change/Correction in PAN Card service. A corresponding page for Change or Correction in PAN Card would open
- On the Apply for Change/Correction in PAN card details page, choose among the modes, Physical (Forward Application with documents physically) or Digital (Paperless), the way they want to make changes/corrections.
- Enter your PAN number
- Select the mode. Choose whether you wish to receive an e-PAN card or both a physical and an e-PAN card.
- You can submit the online form after selecting the options and entering the page details.
- On the CSF page, a reference number will be generated. You can record this number till the application number is issued.
- Complete the application by filling in your details, like your name and address, and uploading the required supporting documents as proof.
- The supporting documents include the following:
- Proof of PAN
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
- Proof in support of changes required (if any)
These are the steps for filling out your change request application at NSDL and UTIITSL and now coming to the fee and mode of payment.
PAN card correction charges
- For Indian Communication Address: ₹93 plus Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- For Foreign Communication Address: ₹864 plus Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Know more about the PAN Card Correction Form here.
Modes of Payment for application fees
- Credit/Debit Card
- Demand Draft
Once the application and payment are accepted, you must courier or post the supporting documents to NSDL or UTIITSL (whichever is applicable) if you have chosen to submit them in physical form. After receiving the documents, your chosen PAN allotment portal will process the PAN application.
Reprint of PAN card
This facility is provided to the PAN holder who wants a new physical PAN card. If your PAN card is misplaced or damaged, a new PAN card bearing the exact PAN details can be issued with this application. Based on the following, an application can be made through Protean:
- PAN applicants can apply only when no change is required in the data.
- The option for updating PAN details will not be available through this facility.
- If the applicant has followed the route of Protean, then they may apply for the same by using the NSDL Website. If your PAN card was allowed by UTIITSL, you can visit the UTIITSL homepage and click the ‘Reprint PAN Card’ option.
- You will have to pay the following application fee for reprint:
- For Indian Communication Address: ₹50 (inclusive of taxes)
- For Foreign Communication Address: ₹959 (inclusive of taxes)
- No supporting documents are required to be submitted in this case.
e-filing portal ITD
On the e-filing ITD website, you can avail a host of free PAN services. This also includes the generation of a free PAN. However, these facilities are only available to individuals who are not representative assessees as per section 160 of the income tax act or minors at the time of the request.
If you wish to update your PAN details as per your Aadhar card, you can do it for free using the e-filing website.
Simply follow these steps:
- Open the e-filing portal by the ITD
- Under the ‘Quick Links’ corner, look for ‘Instant e-PAN’. When you click on this link you will be taken to the e-PAN page.
- Select ‘Update PAN details’
- Enter your Aadhaar Number and confirm with OTP shared in your Aadhaar-linked mobile number
- Select details you want to update by clicking on the tick boxes besides them
- Confirm the details you wish to update and confirm
- If your request to update your PAN details was successful, you will get an acknowledgement number
- Note the acknowledgement number for further communication about your request.
- Once your details are confirmed, your updated instant e-PAN would be ready to download from the e-filing website.
Looking to link your Aadhaar and PAN Card? Check out this guide for more details.
Updating your KYC documents, like your PAN, with your name and address is essential. Making PAN card corrections online is simple and quick with the portal you were allotted your PAN. So, note the changes you wish to make and update them all at once with ease.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can we change our PAN card address online?
PAN card addresses can be changed online via the Digilocker service provided by the PAN website. It can also be done via Aadhaar-based eKYC.
2. How can I change the registered address on my PAN card?
You can change your registered address via the PAN website. You would have to log in and put in your updated address through Digilocker or Aadhaar-based eKYC.
3. Can I update my PAN card name online?
PAN card names can be updated online as long as you have your current PAN details on you. For any update in existing PAN details, you can fill out the form 'Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN Data Form' on the PAN website.
4. How long will it take for PAN correction?
It usually takes 15-20 days for your updates or corrections to reflect on the PAN card.