Having your Aadhaar card linked to your mobile number has a number of advantages, such as being able to digitally open bank or demat accounts through the RBI’s digital KYC process. This article breaks down the steps needed to link your Aadhaar with your registered mobile number.
Why have an Aadhaar card link with a mobile number?
Linking an Aadhaar number with a mobile number ensures proper identification of a user with a SIM card.
- Verification of mobile phone user: This helps prevent fraud, in cases where someone else uses your phone number by impersonating you.
- Once authentic users of mobiles have been verified by the linking process, criminals are left out and can be weeded out much more easily. This leads to them being brought under the full weight of the law and punished for any illegal activity they undertake.
How to Link Aadhaar with Your Mobile Number at a UIDAI centre
There are a number of ways to link your Aadhaar number with your mobile number. You can do this online as most services of the card are offered on the UIDAI portal. As mentioned earlier, linking is important to make use of many services. For instance, COVID vaccination certificates linked to mobile numbers help track the vaccination of the Indian population.
The UIDAI, the generator of the Aadhaar, recommends linking your Aadhaar to a mobile phone number. This is so that individuals can take advantage of Aadhaar-linked benefits. Your Aadhaar is like your ID passport, holding your biometrics, photo and address. Identity verification is easier with Aadhaar card linking, and you can do this easily online.
Linking Your Aadhaar with Your Mobile Number at a UIDAI Center
Visit an Aadhaar Seva Kendra. You can locate your nearest centre by checking the UIDAI website.
- At the Aadhaar centre, you will have to fill in a correction form. In this form, you should give your mobile number, which you want to be linked with your Aadhaar.
- After this is done, you can submit the form to the agent and get your biometrics checked.
- When the biometrics are authenticated, the agent will give you an acknowledgement slip.
- The acknowledgement slip contains a URN (Update Request Number). This number helps you to effectively track the status of the linking process. The toll-free number, 1947, also gives you details on the status of the linking of your Aadhaar.
How to link your Aadhaar with your mobile number online:
- On the portal of your operator, click the tab that states “Update or link mobile”
- Enter your mobile number.
- After you have done this, your mobile phone will receive an OTP, with a message for consent.
- Enter the OTP, then your Aadhaar number of 12 digits.
- After this, you will receive a consent message to generate an OTP in order to verify your KYC information.
- You must accept all the terms and conditions displayed and enter a final OTP. You will receive a message that your process is now confirmed.
How to link your Aadhaar number with your mobile number through SMS
- Go to your mobile operator’s (Airtel, Jio, etc.) showroom.
- Submit your Aadhaar card copy. Make sure that it is self-attested.
- Your Aadhaar details and mobile number must be provided properly.
- An application for re-verification must be filled and submitted.
- Then, an OTP is received on your mobile phone.
- The received OTP must be provided to the operator, and biometrics must also be done.
- Within twenty four hours, an SMS will arrive on your mobile number confirming your process.
- As a final step, your KYC needs to be verified, and you simply have to press “Y” for “yes” to do this.
Linking your Aadhaar to your phone number has a whole host of advantages - from being able to open your bank and demat accounts online, to authenticating your other personal data stored with the government, such as vaccination data and ITR filing. This can be done pretty quickly and easily online.
Frequently asked questions
Can I link my Aadhaar with my mobile number at home?
You can do this from your home, either by linking it online or through SMS.
How can I link my mobile number with Aadhaar by SMS?
In case you wish to link your Aadhaar with your mobile number via SMS, all you need to do is visit your mobile operator and go through a verification process at the physical location of the store.