How to Link Your Aadhaar Card with Your Mobile Number
If you’re wondering, “how can I link my Aadhar to mobile number” this article provides a step-by-step guide on how to do so. There are various methods to link your Aadhaar card with your mobile number, such as online, through SMS or by visiting an Aadhaar Seva Kendra. You can enjoy several benefits by linking your Aadhaar card to your mobile number, such as digitally opening a bank or demat account through the RBI's digital KYC process.
Why have an Aadhar card linked with a mobile number?
Linking an Aadhar number with a mobile number ensures proper identification of a user with a SIM card.
- Verification of mobile phone user: This helps prevent fraud in cases where someone else uses your phone number by impersonating you.
- Once the linking process has verified authentic users of mobiles, criminals are left out and can be weeded out much more easily. This leads to them being brought under the full weight of the law and punished for any illegal activity they undertake.
Now, let's look at three ways you can link your Aadhar number with your mobile number.
3 Ways to Link Your Aadhar With Your Mobile Number
1. How to Link Your Aadhar with Your Mobile Number at a UIDAI Center
Visit an Aadhaar Seva Kendra. You can locate your nearest centre by checking the UIDAI website.
- At the Aadhaar centre, you must fill in a correction form. In this form, you should give your mobile number, which you want to be linked with your Aadhar.
- After this is done, you can submit the form to the agent and get your biometrics checked.
- The agent will give you an acknowledgement slip when the biometrics are authenticated.
- The acknowledgement slip contains a URN (Update Request Number). This number helps you to effectively track the status of the linking process. The toll-free number, 1947, also gives you details on the status of the linking of your Aadhaar.
2. How to Link Your Aadhar With Your Mobile Number Online
- On the portal of your operator, click the tab that states “Update or link mobile”
- Enter your mobile number.
- After you have done this, your mobile phone will receive an OTP with a message for consent.
- Enter the OTP, then your Aadhaar number of 12 digits.
- After this, you will receive a consent message to generate an OTP to verify your KYC information.
- You must accept all the terms and conditions displayed and enter a final OTP. You will receive a message that your process is now confirmed.
3. How to Link Your Aadhar With Your Mobile Number Through SMS
- Go to your mobile operator’s (Airtel, Jio, etc.) showroom.
- Submit your Aadhaar card copy. Make sure that it is self-attested.
- Your Aadhar details and mobile number must be provided properly.
- An application for re-verification must be filled out and submitted.
- Then, an OTP is received on your mobile phone.
- The received OTP must be provided to the operator, and biometrics must also be done.
- Within 24 hours, an SMS confirming your process will arrive on your mobile number.
- As a final step, your KYC needs to be verified, and you simply have to press “Y” for “yes” to do this.
Linking your Aadhar to your phone number has many advantages- from opening your bank and demat accounts online to authenticating your other personal data stored with the government, such as vaccination data and ITR filing. This can be done pretty quickly and easily online.
Frequently asked questions
1. Can I link my Aadhaar with my mobile number at home?
You can do this from your home by linking it online or through SMS.
2. How can I link my mobile number with Aadhaar by SMS?
If you wish to link your Aadhar with your mobile number via SMS, all you need to do is visit your mobile operator and go through a verification process at the store's physical location.
3. How to link a mobile number with an Aadhar card online without OTP?
You cannot link your mobile number with your Aadhar card online without an OTP. You can, however, do it offline by visiting the nearest centre and following the below steps: Here are the 5 steps to update your mobile number in Aadhaar:
- Visit the nearest Aadhar Seva Kendra or enrolment/update centre.
- Fill out the application form to update your mobile number. You only need to provide your current mobile number; the previous one can be skipped.
- Register your update request with the attendant.
- Get an acknowledgement in the form of an Update Request Number (URN).
- Pay a fee of INR 25 to the enrolment centre to avail of this service.
4. Can I update my mobile number in Aadhar by myself?
You can update your mobile number in Aadhar online through the UIDAI portal or by visiting the nearest Aadhaar Seva Kendra or enrolment/update centre. Fill out an application form, provide your current mobile number, register your update request with the attendant, and get an acknowledgement in the form of an Update Request Number (URN). A fee of INR 25 may apply for this service.