How to Change the Name on an Aadhaar Card Online?
Here are the steps to change your name on an Aadhaar Card online:
- Visit UIDAI’s myAadhaar Self-Service Portal
- Click on login and enter your Aadhaar number and the captcha code provided on the screen.
- Click on “Send OTP”, which will be shared on your registered mobile number
- Enter the OTP received to proceed further
- On the ‘Services’ menu, locate ‘Update Aadhaar Online’ and click on it
- Click on ‘Proceed to Update Aadhaar’, choose the option to update the name, and enter the name you want to be displayed on the card
- Upload scanned copy of the supporting documents mentioned on the screen
- Now you will see a preview of the updated/added details. Carefully verify the name and the spelling
- Proceed to make an online update fee of ₹50 (non-refundable) using any supported payment modes, such as debit/credit card, UPI, or net banking.
Once your payment is successful, you should receive an Update Request Number (URN). The URN can track the status of the Aadhaar update request. Although the process is expected to take up to 90 days, it generally gets done much earlier. Once you receive the confirmation, you can download it from the same portal.
How to Change the Name on an Aadhaar Card Offline?
You can change the name on your Aadhaar card at your nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre or an Aadhaar Seva Kendra. If you have online access, this process must be followed, but your current mobile number is not linked to your Aadhaar.
- You can take the Aadhaar correction form from the centre you’re visiting or download it from this link and fill it out beforehand to make the process quicker. Link: Aadhaar enrolment update form
- The information to be entered in the form should be double checked
- To support your application, attach self-attested copies of the proof of name from the list of documents provided and submit them along with the Aadhaar correction form.
- Pay the associated fee for the Aadhaar Card name change offline process and receive an acknowledgement with a tracking number for future follow-ups.
This process usually takes longer than the online mode, and you will receive a confirmation on SMS once your Aadhaar Card is ready to be dispatched.
Aadhaar Card Name Change – Useful Tips & Tricks
Here are some handy tips to help you get your application right the first time, thereby minimising the chances of rejection and having to undergo the process all over again.
- Thoroughly ensure the information being provided is accurate. Double-check the spelling etc.
- Passport, PAN Card, voter ID card, driving licence, and other photo ID documents issued by the Government of India are some of the most popular and widely accepted supporting documents for the Aadhaar card name change process.
- In the offline mode, or if your mobile number is not linked to your Aadhaar, hard copies of the supporting documents must be provided by visiting the Aadhaar centre in person. These documents need to be self-attested by the applicant.
- The name correction form can be filled in English or a local language.
- The URN you receive upon submitting your application is a vital tool for tracking the status. Keep the number safe.
- The corrected Aadhar card can be downloaded online through the service portal or received at the address mentioned in the Aadhaar card upon paying an additional fee.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it easy to change the name on an Aadhaar card?
Yes, changing the name on an Aadhar Card is a relatively straightforward and hassle-free process. It is most easily done online by visiting the myAadhaar Self Service Portal. Under the services option, you can opt to update your name on your Aadhaar Card by providing the right information, uploading the soft copy of the relevant supporting documents and paying the requisite process fee.
2. How long will it take for the Aadhaar name correction?
As a customary precaution, the UIDAI office gives the upper limit of 90 days for the process to be completed. However, it has been noticed that most of the online applications are completed within 30 days.